We are registered with The United States Government Information Locator Service (GILS).
GILS Registration Number: 13448
- This is a World Wide Web site for official information about the USS Tarawa (LHA 1). It is provided as a public service by the Commanding Officer of the USS Tarawa. The purpose is to provide information and news about the USS Tarawa to the general public.
- All information on this site is public domain and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this Web site are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic and identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations and to maintain required correspondence files, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used to simply determine how many users are accessing the site, which pages are the most popular, and, from time to time, from which top level domain users are coming. This data is scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to the Webmaster.
Below is an example of the information collected based on a standard request for a World Wide Web document:
184.108.40.206 - - [18/Jun/2001:11:24:03 -0500] "GET /navpalib/ships/carriers/ HTTP/1.1" 200 2575 220.127.116.11 -- this is the host name (or IP address) associated with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, the requester is coming from a Navy address. Depending on the requester’s method of network connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify a specific computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers assign different IP addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the ISP. The host name (or IP address) will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
[18/Jun/2001:11:24:03 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
/navpalib/ships/carriers/ HTTP/1.1 -- this is the location of the requested file on the Navy’s Web site.
200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request was filled
2575 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages
www.altavista.digital.com - this indicates the last site the person visited, which indicates how people find the Navy’s Web site.
We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site unless you choose to provide such information to us. If you choose to send email to the site webmaster or submit an online feedback form, any contact information that you provide will be solely used to respond to your request and not stored.